A form of product passport already exists:
- Environmental Product Declaration (EPD)
- This is a certified environmental declaration developed in accordance with the standard ISO 14025 on environmental labels and declarations.
- EPDs include a description of product components and the materials they are made from.
- However, the EPD website lists only 327 EPDs, from 19 countries
Other EREP recommendations:
- resource efficiency targets should be set
- environmentally-harmful subsidies should be phased out
- Green Public Procurement should be made stronger and more coherent
- resource efficiency tools for small and medium-sized (SME) companies should be established
- It will publish final recommendations in November 2013.
The above is derived from:
I like the idea of a set of information about a product being available.
A bit like a car maintenance log book, but much more.
I liked the idea of HIPs Home Information Packs introduced to the UK, for a short while, then scrapped.
I would get survey and guarantee information together to hand over to new house owners, before the HIP idea was suggested, then scrapped.
Specification and Product Passports
With NBS Create there is a place to maintain continuity from manufacturer, through specification to facilities management.
But Architects struggle with specifications let alone specs for FM, or recycling, not sure if it would work.
CAP'EM Product Data Sheet
already collects a lot of information Product Passorts would carry.
A service sould be developed
NGS PRODUCT DATA
NGS is already bringing together all in one place information for a Product Database:
it starts with Product Data Collection, and its outputs can include:
- Product Page Schedule:
- NGS PRODUCT PAGE SCHEDULE
- Product Data Sheets:
- CAP'EM PRODUCT DATA SHEET
- Outline Specification:
- NGS OUTLINE SPECIFICATION
- Robust Specification:
- Product Assessments:
- Product Passport:
QR Codes connect to remote data
QR Codes on labels used on products or included in the equivalent of HIPs can link the owner to the information about the parts of the building stored elsewhere in the world of Big Open Date.
Building Information Modelling/Management (BIM)
BIM has the potential to carry such information along with Product Objects from BIM model libraries
A Product Passport APP could be created for inputing and outputting such information.
But the UNICLASS and CoBIE classification systems need a lot of work before any APP could be created.
EPD is not a Product Passport
I know LCA output is not a kind of Product Passport and BRE's recent version of EPD is just a readout of LCA so unsuitable as a Product Passport.
I guess an expensive wider scoped EPD service could generate the kind of information needed for a Product Passport.
I guess there would need to be a new ISO standard to describe what the Product Passport should contain.
Or we will be into another almighty mess like LCA is at the moment and will be until 2016.