NGS COMPARE GROUP COMPARISON
NGS COMPARE Product Group Comparison Conclusions
- PASS establishes the Key Performance Indicators KPIs, Environmental Performance Indicators EPIs and Social Performance Indicators SPIs for each product group.
- PASS places Energy & CO2 as the EPI
- PASS collects data on as many products as we can find easily; applies any calculations necessary to determine comparable data.
- PASS then sorts the results in each EPI, KPI and SPI to determine average or normal performance and determines which are above and below the average performance.
- PASS then compares individual products to determine where and how they are better or worse than the average or normal.
- PASS encourage manufacturers to bring their latest product data to improve the collected data.
H11 Curtian Walling Transluscent Glazing
On this occasion PASS compared:
- 2 cladding systems by the same manufacturer
PASS took manufacturer or reviewer declared data:
Average or Normal Performance:
On this occasion the averages determined were:
- One piece of effective greenwash is that .......
- In the absence of comparable data manufacturers can be optimistic in their marketing and sales talk.
- There is some considerable GreenWash going on about some below average products.
- In the absence of knowledge specifiers can be fooled by the GreenWash.
- PASS encourage manufacturers to bring new or better products to drive down energy and CO2 increase sequestered carbon, improve emissions, improve resource efficiency.
Follow up actions:
- Manufacturer’s products that fall below average EPIs are being removed from GreenSpecINDEX
- Manufacturers of best performance products will be encouraged to be in GreenSpecINDEX
- Manufacturers are encouraged to bring new or better modes forward for PASS GROUP COMPARISON and to show in GreenSpecINDEX
- When one manufacturer produces many products or many variants of one product, whose performance varies enormously from variant to variant, it is essential that the exact model name, reference prefix and reference suffix is in the contract specification.
- NBS would argue that is enough, NGS argue that the performance characteristics, the reasons for choosing the product and the model, are also included, so there is a basis for checking deliveries on site and a basis for comparison in the event of substitution; all of this on site or at the point of substitution without reference to other documents.
"Unless workmanship and performance
are defined as part
of the Contract Documents
then any control over the end result
becomes entirely speculative."
Neil Pepperell MD
© RIBA Indemnity Research Ltd.
“If … test certificates
are claimed, make sure
they are current and
relate to the proposed product,
not another in the range”
Liability alert No. 17
A03 16th June 2013
© BrianSpecMan aka Brian Murphy
16th June 2013 - 19th July 2013
PASS GROUP COMPARISON
Fig. 1 GreenSpecLogo
Fig. 2 GreenSpecPASS logo
Fig. 3 Example H11 PASS Product Assessment & Endorsement
Fig. 4 Example H11 Group Comparison
Fig. 5 Example H11 Group Comparison Conclusions
BrianSpecMan aka Brian Murphy
16th June 2013