Slate roof covering repairs
Q I have to have a new roof put on my house; but I am hoping emergency repairs will hold out until the days are longer and the weather improves.
- Is this the reality or are you being told you need a new roof?
- Do you mean roof structure or roof covering or both
- Is this an opportunity to extreme insulate the roof to prevent all heat loss and solar heat gain and noise?
- Wise to wait for better weather if it can be waited for.
Q The question is do I have a slate tile roof (as original) or do I have a slate fibre tile - perhaps you have a better idea on this?
- They probably do not know how to get reclaimed slates because builders merchant do not sell them
- Find architectural salvage yards and find suitable matching size, thickness, colour (or contrasting see below) slates
- Is there any reason the slates cannot be patch repaired?
- Is it due to the nailing making repairs difficult?
- Consider having the slates clipped in the patch repair areas not nailed.
- Clips hook over the top edge of batten (or nail into batten) in the gap between slates below and hook under the bottom edge of the replacement slate above
- In europe all new roofs are clipped (its not inferior to nailing its just different, innovative, simple, faster, visible, repairable, DIYable)
- The same people that supply fibre slates probably sell the clips, but they might resist hoping for a bigger sale opportunity
- You may need to go to european suppliers to get the clips, (they did appear on UK project on Grand Designs so they can be obtained)
- Patchy roof?
- Nothing like a bit of archaeology to read in the slates.
- Conservation specialist insist on showing the repairs as new compared to the existing old.
- Slates are more expensive but....
- A few patch repair slates will cost less than a whole roof of slate fibre tiles
Q Our emergency roofer seems to think slate fibre is the better option as he believes that slate will crack within 5 years.
- The slates have survived 100 years why will they crack in 5 years?
- Thats their scam to make you pay more and get more business income.
- If they do crack in 5 years patch repair them too.
- Fibre slates will turn grey in 10-20 years, they will turn grey as they fade or salts come to the surface or lichens grow on their surface
- Slates will look great forever with or without lichens.
- Don't choose concrete or clay tiles instead, they will be too heavy and cause the roof timbers to creep and sag
Q Either way it will be costly.
A Not if you patch repair
Underpinning Party Walls
Q My next-door neighbour wants to build a basement in his house; but they will have to underpin our party wall, so I feel that my house is under attack from all sides - my fear is that it will cause a problem like damp or subsidence.
A The neighbour is obliged to get into party wall agreement with you, record the current state of repair, make every effort to prevent problems and compensate you for any failures.
© NGS BrianSpecMan aka Brian Murphy
4th December 2014 - 19th December 2014